May 01, 2002

I bought an interesting book tonight -- something called Impresario: Malcolm McLaren and the British New Wave, published in conjunction with a 1988 exhibit at New York's New Museum of Contemporary Art. It covers McLaren's ties to Situationism; friendship/business partnership with Vivienne Westwood; work with the New York Dolls, Sex Pistols, and Adam and the Ants/Bow Wow Wow; and brief mention of his work as a recording artist. Not all that enlightening if you already know the history, but there are some AMAZING photos in here.

I still say McLaren gets too much credit for the "making" of the Sex Pistols -- and he knows it! They were far from being a boy-band -- they had great songs, two very magnetic and endlessly fascinating personalities, and a kickass guitar player!

I just got back from seeing Motorhead, and I've got all kinds of embarrassing amphetamine scribblings to share. But I'm still winding down, and I'm trying to piece it all together into something coherent -- I have to do that in my mind before I can do it on paper. (well, "paper").