September 28, 2002

I'm awful. I just spent $8 on an LP of the somewhat-difficult-to-find Party Party motion picture soundtrack (1982) for one reason and one reason only: the Bananarama cover of the Sex Pistols' "No Feelings." (You heard me.) It's fantastic, too; it sounds just like Bow Wow Wow. (Bow Wow Wow/Pistols connection duly noted.) Another highlight of this LP -- in the bottom-left-hand corner of the jacket is a cassette-and-crossbones logo accompanied by the infamous warning "HOME TAPING IS KILLING MUSIC," with "AND IT'S ILLEGAL" in small print underneath the logo.

I also dropped $13 on Walter Steding's self-titled 1980 LP on Red Star Records (New York Dolls, Suicide), produced by Chris Stein, featuring guitar by Robert Fripp and Richard Lloyd, and not available on CD as far as I know. Trouser Press isn't too hot on Steding, but I liked what I saw of him in Downtown 81.