March 27, 2006

Losanjealous posted A Trader Joe's Primer For Manhattanites back in January, but now that the Union Square location has actually opened, this guide may prove useful to those crazy enough to brave the long lines. I've been past the new TJ's twice now and both times, there were people lined up halfway down the block to get in (past the Palladium/NYU dorms and that gross pizzeria). Is it really that busy inside the store or is this just one of those wacky '90s-style PR moves?

Anyway, while I haven't been to this new one yet, I'm a TJ's veteran (going back to when I moved to Oregon in 1999, and afterwards when I realized that there were locations on Long Island and in New Jersey). I recommend the sunflower seed butter, the chocolate-dipped frozen bananas, the roasted vegetable pizza, the frozen naan (garlic or plain), the frozen 3-minute jasmine rice, the fresh pappardelle, the artisanal cranberry rolls, the rice pudding, the Greek yogurt... there's lots of good stuff. Stay away from the frozen burritos though; they don't quite cook right and end up a consistency that's too chewy on the outside and booger-like on the inside.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home