February 15, 2003

When I make mixes, I usually do them in drafts. I keep a working playlist on my computer, adding and removing songs and adjusting the track order as necessary, even running off a couple of CD-Rs in the interim to gauge my progress. I'm not really that anal, though -- just two or three drafts at most, and always in short bursts of creativity over a period of days or weeks.

Last night I completed draft three of a mix I've been making for my friend Felicity, and frankly, I'm beaming, gloating over how good it is. I thought I was done with the CD, but one of the tracks I used (Babe Ruth's "The Mexican") turned up on a playlist she posted for one of her own mixes. I scrapped "The Mexican," scrapped about five other songs as well, did a little last-minute mp3-ripping, shuffled things around to find the best segues... and presto. (Oh, and you may recognize some of these as recent FtDitNB mp3s-of-the-week and Nuclear Bunker Radio hits.)

She's going to have to wait until I see her on Tuesday to get the mix, but I'm posting the set here anyway. So it be.

The Buttons - "Bird in My Tree"
The Bobby Fuller Four - "The Lonely Dragster"
Los Shains - "Apache 66"
The Staple Singers - "I Wish I Had Answered"
The Ventures - "Goldfinger"
Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66 - "Wichita Lineman"
Syd Dale - "Base Line"
Shirley Bassey - "Fool on the Hill"
Conway Twitty - "Touch the Hand"
Supremes - "I Keep It Hid"
The Space Lady - "I Had Too Much to Dream (Last Night)"
Gil Trythall - "Cattle Call"
Charles Dodge - "He Destroyed Her Image"
Armando Trovaioli - "Kinky Peanuts"
Adriano Fabi/Sammy Barbot - "Mark II Poliziotto Spara Per Primo"
Gilberto Gil - "Pega a Voga, Cabeludo"
Sheffield's Gate - "Tell Her No"
John Andrews and the Lonely Ones - "It's Just Love"
Dr. T and the Undertakers - "Undertakers Theme"
Vanilla Fudge - "Ticket to Ride"
Sly and Robbie - "Pannin' Dub"
Symarip - "Try Me Best"
Sister Rosetta Tharpe - "Ain't No Grave Hold My Body Down"
Lloyd Price - "Stagger Lee"
Little Milton - "Lookin' For My Baby"