January 09, 2003

I don't have a lot to say about music right now. I'm a tad burned out from the end-of-2002 madness, so I haven't been listening to much (haha; for me "not much" is still twice the amount of any normal person). But hey -- I finally heard t.A.T.u.'s "How Soon Is Now"! I think I like it, or at least the bizarre fact of its existence (it's the bleak, fatalistic Smiths kid-goth manifesto/pityparty, covered by two teenage Russian lesbian pop stars) (maybe you didn't hear me: two teenage Russian lesbian pop stars). But more urgent and key: The flangey intro of the t.A.T.u. song, a tribute to that same part in the Smiths original, sounds more to my ears like the flangey intro of Pink's cynical, self-flagellating "Don't Let Me Get Me," and I'm just stunned and overjoyed at how much sense that makes.